Let’s face it. First drafts come easy. But when that initial rush of inspiration fades, often what’s left is a sprawling mess.
So you revise, rewrite, revise some more.
You love what you write one day. Loathe it the next.
Pretty soon, you feel scattered. You can’t find your story’s focus. You get lost in the mess of your draft. And utterly frustrated.
You know this. Writing can be your bliss and your despair at the same time.
And no writer can go it alone.
As your editor and guide, I’ll work side by side with you to show you precisely where your work shines and where it needs more development and technique. I’ll save you weeks, months, even years of floundering aimlessly. So that you can finish your story once and for all, and move to publication faster.
My editorial services are for you if:
1. You have a story you’re burning to tell, but lack the understanding of craft to bring it from head to page.
2. Have ideas aplenty, and so many stories to tell, but when you try to harness them into one focused narrative, you get so overwhelmed, you get gridlocked.
3. Have lots of first drafts, but can’t finish any one of them.
4. You’re serious and committed to your writing.
5. You’re ready to take your work to a whole new level.
Wherever you are in your process, whatever stage of development your work is in, I’ll guide you through the process of transforming the story that lives in your mind into a story that breathes on the page. A story that makes a meaningful connection. Because ultimately, that’s what both you and your readers are after. To be seen and celebrated.
Not sure what kind of edit you need? Read on…
A story development edit focuses on the techniques and aesthetics of storytelling. This is all about shaping your material into a compelling narrative. Together we’ll explore character development, plot and structure, point of view, tone, theme, voice, and any other elements at play in your work.
I look at a multitude of your story’s elements separately and in-depth. I then discuss how they might all coalesce into a unified, powerful narrative.
Your Story Development Edit includes:
1. A 20-minute clarity call so we can get clear on your intentions, frustrations, and core desires for your work.
2. A comprehensive feedback letter.
3. Comments in-line and in the margins of your manuscript.
4. Light line editing to flag consistent missteps in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and spelling.
5. Reading suggestions and writing exercises laser focused on your story’s needs.
6. A 20-minute follow up call scheduled within a week of receiving my feedback. Ask questions, delve deeper into my comments and recommendations – the floor is yours.
7. 30 days of unlimited email support as you move forward with revisions.
Average turnaround time
3 – 8 weeks
$250 – $2500
To schedule your edit, or to request a quote, Contact me here.
I’ll respond to you by email within 3-4 business days.
Manuscript Mastery is a monthly 1:1 mentorship program where I dig deep into every aspect of your writing and creative life.
The program has 4 key components:
Each month, you get an in-depth story development letter where I give you detailed feedback on up to 30 double-spaced pages of your work. You also get line editing directly on your manuscript, where I trim, expand, compress, and tighten your prose.
Within a few days of receiving my feedback, we get together on Skype or phone to dive deeper into my written feedback, to brainstorm about your work and its possibilities, or discuss anything you want more clarity on.
Each month you’ll be working on a combination of new and revised work based on my feedback and our follow up phone conversation. I may give you a writing exercise or two to help you hone a specific technique relevant to your work in progress. These exercises will not only help you master the art and craft of writing, it will bring your work closer to a publishable caliber.
You’ll practice reading like a writer, with close attention to specific narrative techniques. Don’t let this intimidate you. I’ll guide you on exactly what to look for in stories you love to read. And I’ll offer reading recommendations based on techniques your work most calls out for. The reading component is the most powerful aspect of our work together and it’s where your writing will really take off. I’ll help you teach yourself how to write by teaching you how to read.
What you get each month:
1. Comprehensive story development letter discussing craft elements at play in your work. I’ll explore structure, character development, scene creation, narrative suspense, tone, setting, detail selection, and any other elements your work invites.
2. Line and text editing, in-line. You get edits directly on your manuscript, with comments in the margins; you not only get substantive, dramatic changes, you get my play-by-play thought process driving those changes.
3. Reading suggestions and writing exercises tailored to your story’s needs.
4. A 45-minute Skype or phone consult to go over my feedback in depth, discuss a particular published work relevant to your work in progress, address questions, and get clear on where to take your work next.
5. Unlimited email support. If you get stuck, or just want to chat about something great you read, an insight you made, or if you have any questions at all, I’m always nearby to support you.
Manuscript Mastery is for you if:
You’re working towards a complete body of work such as a novel, short story collection, memoir, or non-fiction book.
Can devote a minimum of 3 months (and at least 15 hours per week) to writing, reading, and deliberate practice.
Have both the experience and comfort receiving and applying feedback to your work, either in a workshop or mentorship setting.
Are serious about mastering craft.
$425/month for a minimum of 3 consecutive months.
Manuscript Mastery is by application only.
Here’s how to get started:
I’ll touch base with you via email within 3 business days and ask you to send me a 2,500 word sample of your work.
After I’ve read your writing sample, we’ll hop on Skype or phone for a 20-minute chat (or we’ll talk via email if you prefer), and we’ll take it from there.
If we’ve never worked one-on-one before, this is the best way to get a feel for what it’s like to work with me as your editor and guide. And it will help you grasp essential craft elements that will make your story go from good to great.
I’ll evaluate of a portion of your work ( up to 2500 words). You’ll get a feedback letter discussing your work’s superpowers, its opportunities for deeper development, plus some light line editing to flag consistent grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure missteps.
Then we’ll schedule a 20-minute phone consult to go over my feedback in more depth, address any questions or concerns you have about your writing, and to discuss the possibility of working together further. There’s absolutely no obligation to go beyond the introductory edit. You may even find that you gain enough nutrients from my introductory feedback to move full throttle with revision.
Your Introductory Edit includes:
1. A 2,500 word read-through with my comments and play-by-play responses directly on your manuscript in the margins, using Word Tracking.
2. Light line editing to flag consistent grammar and sentence structure missteps.
3. A brief feedback letter exploring any structural or craft elements your work invites.
4. A 20 minute follow up Skype or phone call to go over my written feedback in more depth, and to answer any questions you have about enriching your work.
The fee for the Introductory Edit is $145, which I’ll put towards your quote if you decide to move forward with a more extensive edit.
And if you feel my introductory edit doesn’t radically improve your writing, just email me within 14 days after our followup call. I’ll refund your money, simple as that.
To get started with your introductory edit, click here.